Clay-Making and Culture Fiji Tour
Get a feel for local Fijian life and learn more about the island’s culture with a visit to a family-run clay-making business. Meet the owner, see his beautiful work on display, talk to him about his inspiration and creative process, and watch the talented clay makers in their workshop.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide, roundtrip private transportation via minivan to the workshop, a souvenir to take home.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, additional souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Experience a side of Fiji many visitors don’t see with a visit to a local clay-making business, to witness the unique process for yourself. This Fiji day tour starts with a scenic ride (about 20 minutes) to the lush valley of Nadi, travelling through the charming neighbourhoods of Nadi along the way. Once you arrive, you’ll be greeted by the contemporary clay-makers and the owner himself, Taito Lawakele, who will show you around the work area where you can see the many handmade items on display.
After taking a look around, you’ll get the chance to watch local craftspeople at work, and learn how the clay itself is made. This interesting process involves the use of a variety of soils, which are mixed and packed down before being made into customised products. Pieces are baked at 1,000°C in a gas kiln for more than eight hours, and intricate items include pendants, candle holders, platters, soap dishes, wind chimes, vases, jewellery, and more. Each clay item in the workshop comes with a story behind it.
A visit here is a great chance to see a side of Fiji that goes beyond beaches and palm trees. There’s no better way to know a country and its history then to meet the local artisans. Not only will you be seeing the contemporary clay-makers at work, but you’ll also get the opportunity to try making something out of clay yourself — if you’re feeling creative, that is.
This unique tour is all about interacting with local contemporary clay makers, and learning about the work from the owner himself. His creations are inspired by his surroundings and life in Fiji, and his passion for his art has inspired his fellow workers to think outside the box and have fun along the way. Before we leave to head back to Nadi, you’ll get to take a small part of the island home with you in the form of a beautiful piece of pottery.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Hotels in the Nadi area. Pick-ups are available outside of Nadi (such as at Coral Coast, Sonaisali Resort, Bay View Cove, or Vuda Lautoka) for an additional fee. We recommend you are ready and in the lobby at least 15 minutes before your designated pick-up time.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Note that pick-up and drop-off is available only within the Nadi area. Any bookings outside of Nadi (such as Coral Coast, Sonaisali Resort, Bay View Cove, or Vuda Lautoka) will be an additional cost and are an additional 35-minute drive beyond Nadi.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.